Subject: [Leica] RE: Foveon chip
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:59:50 -0800

One thing for sure, the laws of physics have not been repealed by Foveon.
And they have not been able to make smaller pixels. As a matter of fact, I
would bet that their pixels are much larger than those in modern sensors
such as the Philips 6mp sensor.

I believe, from my scientific viewpoint, that the actual result obtained
via the Foveon 3X chip will be, for the most part, indistinguishable from
results from current high pixel density sensors. Genuine Fractals has been
around for a long time and is very sophisticated in adding missing data to
produce stunning large prints from small digital files.

With every chip (including Foveon but excluding buffalo chips) we have:

7 to 15 square micron pixel size.
pixels lined up in rows.
blank space between pixels.

This produces a data frequency (REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE DATA IS TRICHROME
OR MONOCHROME) that is less than the data frequency that leica lenses (and
most other modern lenses) resolve. The pixel frequency has to be a minimum
of four times the lens resolving frequency in order to capture everything.
Film can do this. You cannot make pixels small enough to do this.

During the big bang, our laws of physics were determined. We are incapable
of changing them.

Another thought. We now capture, with individual pixels, 24 bits (256
colors), 30 bits (1024 colors), or 36 bits (4096 colors). If Foveon
captures three colors at a single pixel site, it must be a large site in
order to store enough electrons in three separate capacitors to deliver RGB
color data about the light hitting that pixel. And to squeeze it all into a
small pixel site would limit the amount of stored charge thus reducing the
color fidelity and increasing the noise dramatically. I believe that the
geometry of the Foveon pixel is quite large in order to achieve what they
claim. As I said, the laws of physics still apply.

Until they reveal how they altered the laws of physics to achieve their
claims, I won't hold my breath.

And their marketing hype portrayed current digital imaging as it was ten
years ago. I believe they did this in order to make their imaging look
superior. When it is all said and done, I believe it will be no better than
the current high end digital imaging. It sure as hell won't replace film.
They are smoking some strong stuff.

Jim