Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Salgado Revisted
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:15:56 -0600

tedgrant@shaw.ca (Ted Grant)2/12/0211:32 AM

> I don't understand all the fuss and key pounding, not your
> post, but the
> many others about the politics and ideology behind the
> photography of some
> of the great photo documentaries of our times.

It seems to me that some documentary projects (film, photo, or
journalistic) simply carry more "socio-political content" than
others. And some photographers, filmmakers, and journalists bring
more "ideology" to their work than others. I love the variety of
points of view. Ultimately, the work stands on its own - or not.
I recommend, when viewing a work of art, try to let your
"knowledge" of the creator, and even history, go and allow the
image (film, whatever) to speak for itself. If you never heard of
Salgado, what do you see and feel from the image?

George

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: Salgado Revisted)