Subject: Re: [Leica] Paul Fusco Leica Ace
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:17:19 -0800

I was in Germany when Chernobyl blew up. Two days later we had a big
rainstorm and the sky turned brown. I think it was sand that get's blown
up from the Sahara, but still creepy. You could only buy canned
vegetables and there were restrictions on everything from milk to meat.
It was very strange to walk in to a supermarket that is basicly empty,
because there was a stampede and the whole market was sold out. You
couldn't walk on the lawn and were supposed to stay on the concrete,
which was supposedly not as hot. I was in 7th grade and in my biology
class we went out with a Geiger counter that crackled like crazy.
We took iodine pills and got checkups for radiation exposure. In short
it sucked. We also used to have nuke drills. They would round us up and
we would be marched off to the school's bicycle cellar(!). I was about
12 years old and crammed in the back. I remember looking around at an
old broken desk, a rusted bike and the small cellar window thinking to
myself "Oh, yeah. This is REALLY going to make a difference."

Not fun.

feli