Subject: [Leica] Re: Salgado Revisted
From: Gary Elshaw <godard@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:08:36 +1300

Allan wrote:

> You say you feel for the poor, the naked,
> the sick, the homeless--but that is only a fantasy. Where are the poor,
> naked, sick, and homeless close enough to you that you can reach out and
> offer solace? Only in your mind.

Allan, I don't know where you live, but if you're anywhere near a city, I'm
pretty sure you won't have to look very hard to see poor, naked, sick and
homeless people. Feeling compassion and sympathy for people is not a
fantasy; in this case, if I were to follow your way of thinking, I would
suggest that any emotion we feel towards family and loved ones is nothing
more than fantasy. I'm not sure if you're wanting to evade any feelings of
responsibility for others who are less fortunate, or you just don't want to
think or feel for other people, but your statement belittles many of us who
do try and do things to help the needs of others.

If you haven't seen someone poor and needy in a while, you might need to get
out a bit more often. Frequently, they're right next door.

Be well,
Gary
- --

"Half the developing world ­ some 2 billion people ­ live in countries that
have seen little growth in the last two decades. And even in those
developing countries that have been doing relatively well, hundreds of
millions of people are marginal to the progress of growth. As a result, well
over 1 billion people, around 20 percent of the population of this planet,
live on less than $1 a day.

And the scale of the challenge is not only immense, but rising. In the next
thirty years the population of the world will increase from 6 to 8 billion.
Virtually all those 2 billion will be in the poor countries of the world. "

- -James Wolfensohn

http://www.worldbank.org.ba/news/2001/pr-oct01-01.htm

Gary Elshaw
Film and Media Studies Tutor