Subject: [Leica] VIEWFINDER 34:4
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:38:19 -0500

I received my copy today, and a magnificent job it is, complete with a few
babbling articles of idiocy but these are balanced by more of Erwin's
inciteful comments and a true gem, Rolfe Fricke's magnificent article on
Zeiss LTM lenses.

These are a special interest of mine, and I have been studying them for
some years.  (It IS a shame that the current editor did not ask for my
input on this article, as would have Roy Moss and Randy Hooper, his
predecessors, as I could have added much.)  Still, Rolfe's research is
quite valuable and his conclusions are rather good, albeit he missed the
reality that at least one TRUE 1.5/6cm CZJ Sonnar in LTM, clearly a Zeiss
product, is owned by one of the LHSA prominenti, named, er, well, Randy
Hooper ... (so, clearly, the current editor mucked up by not vetting this
article through Randy, either!)

Fricke's studies on the 1.5/5.8cm "Leica-Sonnar" are of worth but,
unfortunately, he chose not to consult the Keeper of the Zeiss Lens List,
Charlie Barringer, who could have told him much.  (This is a failure,
again, of the editor, though Larry Gubas would have pointed him there, had
Rolfe told him that he was writing an article on these lenses or on Zeiss
LTM lenses in general.  That one is properly Rolfe's blot.)  A number of
Zeiss scholars have labored mightily on these lenses and he should have
asked for their thoughts.

In short, VIEWFINDER has emerged from the depths of horror and speculation
characterized by Gilcreast's poorly researched articles and has entered
again into the realm of being close to an academic journal.  The only major
failing the journal continues to suffer from is the failure to referee
articles, something routinely done under Roy and Randy.  <sigh>

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!