Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Salgado Revisted
From: "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:12:02 -0800

Yikes...this thread is really hard to send down to the LUG
forum since it inherently contains Leica material.

But for you folks who want to emulate Dorothe Lange, let me
tell you a little dark secret.  California's Central Valley
farming labor movements have not changed much since the
30's.  In fact, it has become worse!  Many of the farm labor
camps have been shut down...yet the prevailing wages are
relatively the same as in the 30's.  Imagine a town of 1,000
that grows by 3x  during the peak seasons.  Imagine a county
of 400,000 that doubles in size from farm labor.  And the
housing available is basically unregulated...in
garages...barns...wherever space can be found.

I would be nearly willing to bet that everyplace Dorothe
went to document migrant labor still has the same
situation...

Have you ever seriously spoke to a "modern" gardener or food
worker in your town?  I know the ones I have spoken to in
L.A., the San Francisco Bay area, and Chicago have really
interesting stories to tell.  And define those cities as
"third world."

I suggest that all of you political ideologs get out and
start recording.

Regards, Bill Larsen
Terra Bella, California (CA might suggest Canada...but if
you would really like, I will describe tales from Canadian
family immigrants).