Subject: Re: [Leica] Passport Registration
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:52:09 EST

In a message dated 2/12/02 10:15:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, msmall@infi.net
writes:

> >If I fill in my local dealer's name on the card, would Leica double check
>  >before honoring the Passport?
>  >

>  No.  And do not fill the card in and do not send it in.  Simply e-mail
>  Leica that you own the lens and give them the serial number.  Keep the
>  card,

Wrong.

Leica/Northvale has on its computers every Leica camera and lens I've bought
NEW from an authorized dealer, together with the name of the dealer and the
date of registration. I have a copy of their computer print-out of my stuff.
I just spoke with Debbie in the Registration department at Northvale. For at
least as long as she has been there (24 years) they record each camera and
lens shipped to each dealer by serial number and date of shipment.
Occasionally a dealer will send a piece to another franchised dealer who will
sell to a customer. When the Passport registration comes in, they will verify
that the piece was in fact sent dealer to dealer.

it is possible that on a recent camera/lens bought from a private individual
with Passport unfilled, you might be able to persuade Leica to honor the
Passport (this is Rosner saying this, not Debbie or Leica). If I wondered, I
would call Northvale:
1-800-222-0118 and ask for registration. They really do try to be
accommodating.

BTW, Passport protection, if I could get it, would be far, far more important
to me than the few extra dollars that having the registration certificate
might bring when
(and if) I ever wanted to sell the lens.

marc is correct about boxes having some value. Current packaging adds
something but not nearly what a pristine original M3 or M2 box would. The
Passport program incidentally is something like 15 years old, sometime in the
80s.

Seth     LaK 9