Subject: Re: [Leica] Paul Fusco Leica Ace
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:49:07 -0800

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
>>> Mike, existing nuclear plants are probably safe enough-- until they have
> melt-down like the one in Chernobyl. If that happened to the one near you,
> your nice, safe world would turn into a living hell, rather like those
poor
> folks in Belorus. I think it's kinda short sighted to think something like
that will never happen again. <<<<

Hi Arthur,
Quite correct! It's fool hardy for anyone to say, "that'll never happen
again" or the really stupid one, "That'll never happen here, we're perfectly
safe as we run ours better than the other guy!" Gee eh? Three Mile Island? I
relate to all the safety net systems in nuclear plants and everything else
man-made in a very simple fashion:

If it's man made it can fail! :-(  It goes with being human.

Once you accept that, then you fly in comfort knowing it's possible the
plane can fall out of the sky and this is the best made plane in the world
and it will fly forever. However! It's man made and not infallible! Sit
back, have a drink and relax till you get to the destination.

The same as every nuclear plant in the world can go haywire for some totally
unexplainable reason or your car has been running like a dream...........
then it quits without warning at just the wrong moment!. Bam you are dead!
:-(

The shuttle........ man made, wasn't supposed to blow-up, sorry it did! And
even with the safety systems built in everyone died. So your point is very
well made. There is always the possibility all the best plans and safety
pieces can fail and as brilliant as engineers are, sometimes it doesn't mean
diddly. Pilot error? Engineering error? Put this at gutter level, shit
happens! Be prepared! it can happen!

Not that any of this has anything to do with Leica, so how about this
analogy?  Leica's are man-made, basically the finest in the world, right?
Guess what, they fail, not from use and abuse, but because they are man-made
and man is not perfect!

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant