Subject: [Leica] FILM SURVEY
From: Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:08:45 -0800 (PST)

I tried enclosing this information, posted it, but it
never showed up. So here's the information again.

I personally would like to thank my son, Philip, for
compiling this information.

At first we thought of including a chart (spreadsheet)
as an aid to present the result, but then decided just
to use the summary format. The reason being, it was
not easy obtaining a universal format by including all
the mail relating to “Film Survey”. It came in
different flavors and sizes which required eyeballing
all the mail. The paradox is that not all mail on this
subject is for the film media.

We were amazed on the extent of unrelated points
discussed. Philip had to read all the mail, acting as
a firewall in preventing “garbage in/garbage out”.
There were a total of 64 responses from all
individuals. We also included some inputs discussed
within the groups on “developers & fixers” etc.
We are kind of surprised on the diversity of all the
film medias used by our group. Perhaps due to my own
ignorance, there were film media mentioned here that I
never heard of.

This survey is by no means scientific. It shouldn't be
the representation of all photographers around the
world, but definitely shows the representation of at
least the folks here on this forum. I'm sure it will
generate discussions and the basis will form a broad
exchange of ideas and information. Let's keep this
discussion going.

SLOW DAYLIGHT COLOR PRINT FILM :
=================================
This category gives a very even spread between Kodak
and Fuji. The division is also even between pro and
amateur films. The favorite here is not surprisingly
Fuji Reala, with Kodak Royal Gold a close second. I am
surprised other than one Agfa entry, no other brand is
mentioned.

Agfa Portrait 160 			(1)
Kodak Portra 100			(2)
Kodak Portra 160 			(4)
Kodak Royal Gold 100 			(6)
Kodak Royal Gold 200 			(5)
Kodak Gold 100 				(2)
Kodak Max 100 				(3)
Kodak NC 160 				(1)
Fuji NPS 				(2)
Fuji NPH 160 				(2)
Fuji 100 				(1)
Fuji 200 				(2)
Fuji Superia 100 			(4)
Fuji Reala 100 				(8)
Fuji NPC				(3)
				Total  	46

FAST DAYLIGHT COLOR PRINT FILM :
================================
In this category, we see some fairly specialized type
of films used. Based on these information, some of
these films are only offered in stores equipped for
pro requirements.
Both Kodak and Fuji are favored, with perhaps Kodak
offering more diverse varieties.

Fuji Superia 800 			(6)
Fuji CZ 800 				(1)
Fuji NPH 				(2)
Fuji NHG 				(1)
Fuji Press 800 				(6)
Kodak Portra 400 			(6)
Kodak Portra 800 			(2)
Kodak Supra 400 			(1)
Kodak VC 400 				(2)
Agfa Vista 				(1)
				Total  	27

COLOR PRINT FILM FOR BOTH DAYLIGHT/ARTIFICIAL LIGHT
In this category, Fuji comes out the winner. Both the
Superia and Reala are equally accepted by the group.

Fuji Superia 200		        (1)
Fuji Superia 800			(3)
Fuji Superia Reala 200 			(2)
Fuji Press 800 				(3)
Fuji NPH 				(3)
Fuji NPZ				(1)
Kodak Portra 160VC			(1)
Kodak Gold 200				(1)
Kodak Gold 400				(1)
Kodak Max				(1)
Kodak Supra 				(2)
Kodak 800				(1)
				Total  	20

SLOW COLOR SLIDE
=================
Fuji’s Velvia is the overall favorite here, with the
old standby Kodachrome perhaps not as the industry
standard anymore, but nevertheless still being used
favorably.

Fujichrome 50				(1)
Fuji Provia 100F 			(7)
Fuji Velvia 				(11)
Kodak Portra				(1)
Kodachrome 25				(3)
Kodachrome 64 				(8)
Kodak Ektachrome E100 			(7)
Kodak Elite 100				(1)
				Total  	39

FAST COLOR SLIDE
================
Fuji again leads this group. However, Kodak offers
more variety in both Kodachrome and Ektachrome.  The
clear winning here is Fuji Provia.

Kodak Ektachrome 400 			(5)
Kodak Portra 				(2)
Kodachrome 200 				(9)
Kodak EPJ-320 				(1)
Kodak E100VS				(1)
Kodak Ektachrome 200			(2)
Fuji Provia 400f 			(15)
Fuji Sensia 				(2)
GAF 500 				(1)
Astia 					(1)
				Total  	39

SLOW BLACK & WHITE
===================
The B&W category seems to have quite a bit of
cross-boundary more dependent upon darkroom chemicals.
A lot of responses in the survey also include the
chemical and film combinations. But due to the limited
resources here, it would be outside of the scope to
include chemical mediums, Here we don’t see the
overwhelming representation of Fuji or Kodak. In fact
Fuji have only the Acros. Kodak’s Tri-X and T-max is
well favored, but the winner is Ilford Delta.

New Lucky 100				(1)
Ilford Delta 100 			(7)
Ilford Pan-F 				(5)
Fuji Acros 				(6)
Agfa APX 25				(1)
Agfa 100 				(4)
AGFAPAN 250				(1)
FP4 					(4)
Kodak Tech-Pan 				(2)
Kodak Supra 100 			(1)
Kodak Pan-X 				(2)
Tri-X 					(5)
T-MAX 					(6)
Efke BK14				(1)
Efke KB25 				(3)
Efke KB100				(2)
				Total  	51

FAST BLACK & WHITE
==================
This groups is more dependent on chemical preference
in pushing the film media during development in
gaining contrast and speed. Again, it is outside of
the scope of this survey to include chemicals.

Fuji Neopan 400	 			(2)
Fuji Neopan 1600 			(9)
Kodak Supra 400 			(3)
Kodak Portra B&W 			(1)
Kodak 3200 				(3)
T-Max 3200 				(3)
Tri-X 					(9)
Ilford Delta 400 			(5)
Ilford Delta 3200 			(8)
Ilford XP2				(1)
Ilford HP5 				(7)
Freestyle Arista 400			(1)
Agfa APX 400 				(3)
T400CN					(1)
				Total  	56

In the B&W category, quite a few multiple choices of
preference were submitted. This is perhaps, B&W offers
more latitude in controlling the  result based on
different situations. Also, B&W outnumber color film
preferences by a ratio of about 4 to 5.

The following excerpts are some interesting input
provided by the group in their film selection
criteria. I included some of these input from members
to further expand on the topic of film and chemical
discussions.

From : TTAbrahams@aol.com
These days I shoot mainly black and white, but if
requested I will load up with color too.

Black & white:
Tri-X, mainly in D-76 1:1 10" but occasionally in
FX-37/Xtol.
Fuji ACROS 100 ASA in Beutler or Rodinal 1:100
Fuji Neopan F @ 40 ASA in either PMK or Beutler (works
very well in D-23 too)
EFKE 25 (when I can find it) Rodinal 1:150, stand
developed for 90" and rated
at 50 ASA.

Color:
Superia for general shooting.
Reala for interiors with awful mix of lightsources.
For interesting black/white I use AGFAPAN 250. This is
a movie stock that the local AGFA rep gave me years
ago. They had a mixed bag of emulsions and rather than
sending it for destruction, he offered it to me. Comes
in 400 feet rolls and over the years I have shot about
4000 feet of it. Still have 1600 feet left. It is an
old style emulsion, rich in silver and biased to
mid-tones. It does tend to make everybody look like
Marlene Dietrich.
High basefog but prints well. Usually I rate it at ASA
200 and run it in PMK, but it can be rated at 320 and
developed in D-76 too.
Occasionally you can get Kodak Duplicating film (used
for turning negs
into positives). It seems to have an unlimited shelve
life and I use it at 80 ASA and develop in Beutler.
Very tight grain and smooth mid-tones.

Tom A
Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC
Canada
www.rapidwinder.com

From "Feliciano di Giorgio" <feli@d2.com>

writes:

> <<
> > For interesting black/white I use AGFAPAN 250.
This is a movie stock that
> Are there any films out there that approach this
defunct emulsion?

> -kim

Maybe Kodak Double-X #5222 (EI200T, 250D) or Kodak
Plus-X #5231 (EI 64T,80D).
Both have been around for a very long time, I believe
since the 1940s. I ended up using Double-X rated at
200asa. Tonality is nice and smooth. It's amazing how
beautiful true black and white motion picture film is
whenyou see it projected. You'll never look at a black
and white DVD or video the same. I've thought of
buying some of these stocks and bulkloading my own
cartridges. That and a nice Summar or Elmar would
probaly give you a nice period look.

From : "Don" <don.ro@verizon.net>
Good evening, Mr. Ting:

I have been shooting with the Leica M cameras since
1957 and have always enjoyed using:
1. Adox KB-14 and Panatomic-X speed films with the
Willi Beutler developers and their derivatives.
2. Agfa copy films and Tech Pan with double diluted
Beutler developers are the two that I have been using
for the last 20 years.
3. The developer T.E.C. is a Beutler derivative and
available on the market.
4. Kodachrome is still my favorite color film.

Don Rorschach

From :Aubin, Norman C" <norman.c.aubin@boeing.com>

I included my choices for 4x5 just for the heck of it,
although I mustadmit that the 35mm gets the most use
for now.  The silver based B&W films are processed in
DiXactol these days, but once I fully convert to a
digital darkroom I'll probably go back to using
Perceptol again.

Norm