Subject: Re: [Leica] Vario-Elmarit-R 35-70/2.8 ASPH for sale
From: "SML" <inyoung@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:06:28 -0800

Hello,

  If the lens is so excellent as most claimed, why did Leica stop making it.
I know that the lens cost more to make than its set price.  I think Leica
could have raise the price to the point where profitable once Leica must
have seen its recently prices.  They did not have to decide to stop making
them.  I cannot know what would be the right price to set for profitability
but these days the lens fetch more than 5 grands.  Even for that price, its
seems lots of people are craving for it.  Leica could have made several
hundred or one thousand or whatever for around 5 grand street price once
they already must have everything to make the lens.  Then the lens should
sell like crazy in my opinion.  I might be missing something here in
marketing strategy but Leica used to make so many different kinds of
specially engraved so-called special editions of the M6.  I thought they
were their intentional collectibility generators with nothing special.  Why
didn't they do it with this kind of excellent lens?  Well, as one of an avid
user of the R system, I am depressed.

Regards,
David Lee