Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW-belated ,
From: charles harris <lugstuff@charlesharris.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:04:02 -0500

> I am not going to comment on all the shots, but I like week 7 (the hotel
> window) as a composition--even though I usually complain about tilted
> shots, this one works for me. The contrast is a bit low, did you use a
> color film and convert to B&W in Photoshop or something like that?
>
> Nathan

>> I've posted a rudimentary frames paw index for those who wish.
>>
>> http://charlesharris.com/paw.html
>>
>> charles

Thanks for the good words. I've heard here many times from those who have an
objection of sorts to tilted shots. At my own risk I can simply say that I
don't understand that. While obviously there are those shots that aren't
square (not dimensionally, but visually) that feel out of balance, but those
are usually either somebody trying to get fancy (and failing) or
carelessness.

May I point you to a couple of shots that succeed visually by being "off the
dime". As a matter of fact, horizontal alignment probably would ruin them.
At least in my own opinion....

http://charlesharris.com/pop/cen_9.html
http://charlesharris.com/pop/fol_9.html

or many can be found throughout this section
http://www.charlesharris.com/portraits.html

That's not to say one should do it all the time, it's just that it's a valid
viewpoint and one that should not be readily dismissed.

charles

Replies: Reply from "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: PAW-belated ,)
Reply from "Matthew Powell" <mlpowell@directvinternet.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: PAW-belated ,)
Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] tilted photos)