Subject: Re: [Leica] Afghanistan Pix
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:48:43 -0500

Julian Koplen wrote:

> I very much like your pictures.  Thank you.  Besides your good eye for what
> belongs in a picture, one of the other things I admire is the somewhat
> subdued color palette, which seems to complement your subject matter.  Is
> that a function of the film or an effect that you consciously created?
> Whichever, I really enjoyed the "show".

Julian,

Thanks to you and the others for the compliments.

As to the color palette, I think it is mostly that Afghanistan is a
pretty monochromatic place, punctuated by occasional accents of bright
color here and there. Having said that, I like Fuji NPH for having a
relatively subdued saturation -- it is probably at the opposite end of
the scale from Velvia ;-). The third factor is that the air in Kabul is
horrible. There is more air pollution there than in L.A. on its worst
day in history. Everyone who goes there leaves with what we started
calling "Kabul Cough". But the effect on the light is that the haze
diffuses even direct sunlight and opens up the shadows quite a bit.

Regards,

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Message from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> ([Leica] Afghanistan Pix)
Message from "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Afghanistan Pix)