Subject: RE: [Leica] LAS
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:53:25 -0500

There is no question that there are advantages to an all mechanical
shutter - the chief one of which is the lack of dependence on batteries.
But, gee, how hard is it to always have a spare battery, or batteries, with
you? The damn things are so small they can be easily attached to your camera
strap with a piece of, dare I say it? BLACKTAPE!

There are certainly reasons to either be disappointed that the M7 isn't more
of an evolutionary camera, but to worry about batteries dying? I suppose
that MIGHT be an issue if you are Sabastio Salgado, on the road where there
are no roads - and no 7-11s - for up to eight months at a time. But I'll be
that he is clever enough to figure out how many spares batteries he needs to
be absolutely sure he won't be left powerless....;-)

B. D.