Subject: [Leica] buying online
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:19:04 +0100

Tarek,

What exactly has your bank warned you against? You can buy from reputable
retailers like Foto Hobby without any reservations. You have the same return
privileges as at any French shop, maybe even better; they will answer any
questions you might have before you have to buy (and they are much more
knowledgeable about Leica than 99% of local shops)--and if for some reason you
are nervous about sending your credit card details by email, you can send the
order by fax or just phone it in. Most retailers use secure web sites for
order-taking, and for example Foto Mayr (a place where I buy most of my film
since it is up to 50% cheaper than here in Switzerland) requires you to
transmit your credit card and address info only the first time you shop with
them. You then get a customer number, and on any subsequent orders you simply
click on a "same as last time" button next to the payment and delivery details.

Now, I can see how French business would like to discourage people from
shopping online--obviously they have a strong incentive to keep people from
discovering the extent to which they are being ripped off.

Nathan

Tarek Charara wrote:

> Yes, sure... but buying over the Internet? My bank has several times warned
> me against it...
>
> Tarek

- --
Nathan Wajsman