Subject: Re: [Leica] DR. BLACKTAPE WOULD LIKE TO RAISE AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS QUESTION REGARDING ERWIN PUTTS' "REVIEW OF THE NEW M7...
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:28:47 -0800 (PST)

Ok
I was going to stay out of this but I just can't stand
it anymore.
There is absolutely nothing worthy of praise in this
new M7 as
described by Putz. Everything except the TTL could
have been done a
good 15 years ago and it wouldn't have been cutting
edge back then
either. Any copal or Seiko equipped machine from the
80s can hold
those tolerances reliably for 10 years or more and
without all the fanfare.
The Nikon F had a ballbearing separating the 2 drums
and that was in the 60s.
The new cast top was necessary because the old one was
flimsey. It's
also cheaper to cast than to stamp anyway.

We are now expected to believe that this camera was
tortured for 2 years
in the hands of working pros just to ensure it's
reliability. Am I to understand
that Leitz needed 2 years to ensure the reliability of
a mechanically simple and
electronically archaic beast like this! Did they ever
hear of failure analysis, both
electronic and mechanical through computer
simulations? Both Ford and Boeing swear
by them. More likely they are just so out of it that
they just weren't sure this
simple gadget would hold together and it took them
years to workout teething problems.
Unbelievable!

They didn't come out with a competitive camera because
they were afraid
of upsetting wealthy nit-wits who buy up entire
special edition outfits
at a cost of maybe a million a year each. By not
seeking diversity among
the customer base, targeting working professionals
(Who are mostly middle income BTW:)
they became captives of a small mafia that really
doesn't care if they drag
their favourite company into the ground as long as
they get their toys in time
to play. Leitz should consider this camera as an
embarassment and an admission
that they have sat on their asses for about 30 years
and have gone from being
a technology leader and innovator to peddlers of
pricey trinkets. Sorry guys
I'll buy four Bessas instead.

As for the Putz, I don't have anything bad to say
about him. All reviewers no matter
how impartial write for a target audience. It's not
his fault that he is writing for
a bunch of cult members.

Oh BTW: In case you hadn't heard, the priests of the
oracle Solms
have ordered a mass suicide on April 1 2004 if M7
sales do not
exceed the 1 million mark. Have your Cyanide caplets
ready.

Javier
[Not Smiling]