Subject: [Leica] Re: Pondering an R8
From: "Tom Lianza" <tlianza@sequelimaging.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:18:26 -0500

Hi,

At the risk of being flamed and angering a few on this group, I'd strongly
advise against the R8.  I own one and occasionally use it, but frankly, for
me, it just doesn't work.  The vaunted ergonomics just don't seem to be
there.  Put a 180mm f2.8 lens on that body and hang it around your neck and
you might as well have a Rollei 6000 series SLR hanging on your neck.  The
flash automation and meter facility is nice, but frankly it is a gadget on a
camera that doesn't really need more gadgets.  The rear curtain sync
adjustment is really well thought out, but again, it's a feature that is so
rarely used one has to question the need to bring a mechanical control to
the front of a camera that already has a very busy front side.  The digital
display in mine will occasionally go hay wire when using certain lenses.  I
find the R6 far more comfortable to use and frankly, better made.
Naturally, Leica has discontinued that little jewel.  Leica has finally come
out with a zoom in the 20-35 range (I think 21 to 35 actually)  That was a
huge missing piece in their SLR picture.  I don't believe that Leica is
credible competitor in the current SLR market place, even if you disregard
the Autofocus issue.

I own and really enjoy Nikon SLRs but I can understand the desire for Leica
Glass that drives so many people on this group to the Leica SLR.  If you
don't own Leica SLR lenses and have the typical prejudice that surrounds
Japanese glass on this group,  I would take a look at the Contax line of
SLR's.  The Zeiss lenses are really quite excellent ( I would hazard that
their zoom offerings are probably better than what Leica has to offer).  My
experience with their 85 f1.4 (many years ago) was extremely positive.  I
have the 80 summilux for my Leica SLR's and it is a great lens, but
certainly the Zeiss counter part is excellent.

If you want an excellent partner for your M6 track down an R6.2 and use
those great Leica Lenses.  It's interesting to note that R8's can be had a
rather deep discount, while the R6.2's are at list or higher now that they
have been discontinued.  The guys who sell these understand the value in the
market place.  I bought a NIB R8 for 1100USD on the gray market.  The dealer
had a 6.2 that was going to cost 1700 USD .   I would definitely NOT
recommend buying a gray market R8 that if you are planning to rely on the
camera for heavy use.  Electronics doesn't seem to be one of Leica's strong
points...

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.