Subject: Re: [Leica] Artificial light shooting
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:21:21 -0400

Henry:

They will most likely be one of the mercury types.  The typical filtration
for Kodak films is 40cc Magenta and I think, 10cc of Red.  I have used a
FLD  filter  and slide film with good success.  There may still be a very
slight blue cast, but it is not too bad.  Even if shooting print film, the
FLD (Fluorescent Daylight) will help a lot when it comes time to scan or
print.  A lot of people don't realize that if you don't correct, part of
the RGB is missing.  You can't put back what is not there, even using
Photoshop.

If you don't filter, the pictures will be very green.  Depending on the
type of the vapour lamps, the results can be too green to correct in
printing or scanning.  Below are links to a shot of hockey where I used the
FLD filter with the 400mm Leica lens and Provia 400F pushed to EI 1600.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Sports.htm

The top two shots on this same page show some boxing I shot on print film
without using a correcting filter.  The scans have some cast in them that
you cannot remove.

Regards,

Robert