Subject: Re: [Leica] Artificial light shooting
From: DRP <Didier.Roubinet@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:18:09 +0100

le 27/02/02 21:31, Henry Ting à henryting10@yahoo.com a écrit :

> Question on artificial lighting.
> Take for example a night game of basketball, baseball,
> or horse-racing, is there a definitive way to tell
> whether its tungsten lighting, mercury lighting or
> otherwise without having a color-temperature meter ?

> Can I assume that these lightings are close to 3200K ?
Absolutely not

Basically there are two families:
"warm" yellowish" tungsten lighting just has not enough power to light big
sport areas. You will find it in theaters, music halls or so.
"cold" white/greenish/blue lights are for big areas.

We won't speak about orange monochromatic iodure lighting...

In Europe, sport lighting is often made for TV with HMI (high temperature
metal iodure or so)  lighting close to daylight.

Mercury and fluorescent lighting seem often close to daylight but with a non
continuous spectrum which often gives a green cast. Here is the real pb, and
the only way to measure it is a thermocolorimeter. They are as many
filtering combos as lighting manufacturers (filters on a magenta basis,
Kodak CC30M is often a good starting point). Be aware you will loose from
one half to one and a half stop.

To my personal opinion, filters are useful mainly for reversal.
Please consider that modern negatives are less sensitive to color
temperature.
For fluorescent/mercury lighting, "Reala type" Fuji negatives like "4th
layer" Superia can easily be corrected by the labs during the printing
process (don't forget to tell them). For night sports photography an "XTRA"
or "SUPERIA" 800 (only the commercial name changes) will probably be the
best. But never underexpose!

Hope it helps.

Best regards.

Didier (Paris)