Subject: [Leica] Jims picture project
From: "Gumm, Jim" <Jim.Gumm@okdhs.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:00:08 -0600

I have a project this weekend that induces me to ask the lug for a little
help. I am part of a photographic project that involves 50 photographers
from Oklahoma and New Mexico. We are each to get a child who has been put up
for adoption by the Oklahoma SWIFT adoption exchange.  This is a part of the
Oklahoma Department of Human Services. By virtue of being in their employ, I
am a participant. Photographer that is. The idea is to take a 'fine art'
photo of the child. An article about a similar exhibit was in the April/May
issue of "Camera Arts" with the child on the cover by Joyce Tenneson.
I will have 2 siblings, a 4 and 5 year old boy and girl.  I am interested in
what are some ideas you guys might have. What you might do with a set-up
like this. One problem is that the forcasted weather is icy rain/snow so
outdoors might be problematic. I am really looking forward to this project.
I photograph kids for my job all the time, I think I really work well with
them.  I think the picture should have something to say about the children's
personality and/or cultural expectations at some level. Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.
I will have the following gear for the job: M Leica with lenses and N***n
F100 with 85 f1.4 Nikkor. (This nikkor is a great combination with my Leica
gear. I frequently carry the 35 Summillux or Noctilux on an M and the 85 on
the other shoulder.) I also have 'blad and biggger stuff, but for these
kids, I think 35mm is the tool. I have to make a 11"x14" B+W print to go on
a travelling exhibit.
Jimbo