Subject: Re: [Leica] Hollywood Glamour Portraits
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:28:39 -0800

The day before yesterday I did a magazine assignment: environmental
portrait of a theatrical lighting director.  I bit intimidating with
someone like that looking over your shoulder.  And despite years of
background shooting with tons of lighting gear everything from special
effects to product catalogues, I no longer have all the gear and have
been doing things more and more simply, usually traveling now with only
a couple small smart strobes.  Anyway, in I walk to the University light
lab where this gentleman teaches part time (trained at the Shakespeare
Theatre in London).  Working mostly with what was there, I pull a pole
with a couple big lights into the frame, draped some Christmas tree
lights I found hanging around on a blackboard that had been draped with
black cloth, aimed another bank of theater lights a from the other side
to help light up the subject and a great orange ladder also hanging
about, then dug out a couple lowell tota lights from my bag, one with
umbrella, one lighting the black case of the lights in the frame and
goboed off the rest of the set with a cardboard box on one side and a
mannequin on the other, then added a lowell spot on his face from the
side, and voila, a nifty portrait.  And sin of sins, I shot it on a
Nikon D1 (on auto color balance) for reproduction in B&W, dropped onto a
CD and FedExed it to NYC.  Old and new.  At least I took the Ms as
backup.

donal

Donal Philby
San Diego