Subject: [Leica] M7, Rapidwinder, Motor M and Winder M - UPDATE
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 12:53:12 +0100

Sorry, but I have to update my previous mail.

Here is the final version:

I have just tested the M7 with Tom's Rapidwinder, the Leica Motor M
(14408) and two Winder M (14402) from different period.

The Rapidwinder is fully compatible with the M7. It work like a charm.

Of course, the Motor M is also fully compatible, but the metering
memory-lock is valid only for one picture, not for a series. (same with
the Rapidwinder)

BUT, in contradiction with the M7 Instructions book on page 121, and I quote:

"Advancing : Manually with quick wind lever or motorized using Motor-M,
Leica Winder-M, Leica Winder M4-P or Leica Winder M4-2 (from serial No. 10350)"

the Winder M4-2, Winder M4-P and first batches of the 14402 Winder-M
"Made in Canada" during the Classic M6's Wetzlar period are not
compatible with the M7 (and the last series of M6TTL using the same
chassis) because of the locking system which is interfering with the DX
contacts housing. The little fixed metal part , there to stop the moving
part of the lock, is in the way.

Only the last series of the 14402 Winder-M, made since the beginning of
the Classic M6's Solms period (1987-88) are compatible.

The same problem arise with the old baseplate (M4 to first M6). No Leica
cassette with the M7.

According to Leica, it is possible to modify the old winders, but I
don't think they are so enthousiastic about it.

Lucien