Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW - Adam's Week 9 - Hatrack
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:46:35 +0100

>My contribution for the week 9 PAW is now up. I think, in general,
>I'm a bit out
>of step with the tastes of the LUG judging from the near-universal silence
>regarding the last three posts. Saying you DON'T like something is okay, you
>know.
>
>All comments are welcome.

Well then, if you say so: I do like the hatrack picture because it so
well conveys the mood I imagine was there when you made the picture,
but I think the picture would have looked better if there had been
less converging lines. Not that I am against converging lines in all
circumstances and I certainly do not think they should be avoided at
all costs at all times. I often find they add to the drama of a
picture. But in your picture I think they distract rather than add
something.

If there was no chair to climb in order to take the picture without
converging lines, just raise your arms and press the button with the
camera above your head. OK, you won't see exactly what will be on the
negative, but what the heck, film is cheap, make two or three
exposures. Still converging lines, well then try holding the camera
differently next time. Taking pictures with the camera above your
head dramatically changes perspective when the subject is as close as
the hatrack.

BTW, I bought one of those water/spirit levels showing front/back and
left/right tilts separately. I wanted it to help avoid converging
lines when working with my 21 mm but I found it too much trouble as I
had to take it off every time I put the camera back in my small bag.
And mostly I found it sufficient to make sure that some vertical or
horizontal line in the picture area was lined up with the rangefinder
frames in my M6. The I bought a small round spirit level, about the
size of two dimes stacked on top of each other and I glued it on to
the top of the M6. Works well. And has the added advantage when you
do street photography that you need not look though the viewfinder
but can still make sure you don't get just feet or just sky.

(The last URL below shows the hatrack picture, not your PAW page. I
guess most people know how to get from there to the PAW, but still. I
do like your PAWS, but I have written too much already)

Regards