Subject: RE: [Leica] Doesn't ALL Leica gear originate from a "Leica Authorized Dealer"????? - Was International warranty...
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:43:23 -0700

> AUSTIN SAID:
>
> > > Most consider "grey market" to
> > > mean ANYTHING not brought into the country (any country where you are)
> > > through the "official" channels for that country...
>
> THEN...TIM SAID:
>
> > NO, NO, No and no again - grey market ONLY refers to items sold
> > in a country
> > (e.g. the US) but that does not come through that countries "official"
> > distributor of the item.
>
> Tim, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!  Read what I wrote before going "NO, NO,
> NO..."...
>
> So, how is what you said different than what I said?  Hum?  Shall
> I diagram
> the sentences for you?

Austin,

I may have misunderstood you - not quite sure. You appear to say that any
camera brought in through "unofficial" channels is grey market. That broad
statement could be taken to include individuals in the US buying from
elsewhere - that is also something brought into the country outside of the
"official" channels (which many people erroneously consider the be grey
market as well).

My point was to emphasise that such items are only grey market if they are
brought in for re-distribution - which is not what you said. The reason I
emphasised it, is that within camera buying circles there is a big confusion
between what grey market items are, mixing up unofficially distributed and
personally imported:

"Most consider "grey market" to
mean ANYTHING not brought into the country (any country where you are)
 through the "official" channels for that country... AND FOR
RE-DISTRIBUTION"

would have made it clearer

(caps because there are no italics - not because I'm shouting!)

Tim A

PS "anything not brought into the country" can't be grey market anyway...
:-) part of the reason it was confusing to parse at a glance - diagramming
may have helped?