Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M3 Double Stroke
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 23:42:40 -0500

At 08:07 PM 3/4/02 -0800, Gary Todoroff wrote:
>The serial number
>is 700721. Since the M3 started with 700000, this was probably in Wetzlar's
>very first batch of production bodies, certainly within the first month of
>manufacture.
>
>The lens has to be one of Leica's earliest bayonet mounts, too - Summicron
>50/2 SN 1117231, which puts it into 1953 production numbers. Sure is one
>special camera. Lord willing, I think I'll keep it to celebrate its 50th
>birthday in just a couple of years!

Gary

There is a cachet on the "first ten thousand" M3's, especially in Europe.
My first M3 was 704523, and I sold it for a nice bit when we parted ways,
even though it was a beater.

A nuimber of 2/5cm Summicrons with serial numbers below 1,000,000 are known
to exist, though these are a bit of an anomaly.  These have been discussed
over the years in both VIEWFINDER and VIDOM.

I own a late DS which has been retrofitted with the DOF notches, and this
is one camera that they will pry from my dead, cold hands.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!