Subject: Re: [Leica] Removing Lens Coating
From: Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:08:36 +0100 (MET)

> Why do you want to remove a lens coating? Because it is 'old" or because
> it
> is "defective", and does one relate to the other?

Certainly not because it is old. Usually I don't treat my lenses with
toothpaste ;-)
I did it in the past with some two lenses that had a "dull" coating on the
front lens. On an other occasion I tried to clean an old Summicron 50mm  (7
element) which was very hazy.  Allthough I wiped the element behind the
aperture *very* carefully with a microfiber coth soaked with isopropanol, the
coating came partially off. In order to have it recoated, I had to remove the old
coating completely. I was sucessful in using toothpaste for this purpose.
Alex

http://www.gmx.net