Subject: RE: [Leica] Sensitivity: Apostibs?
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:34:11 -0000

Frank Filippone writes:

"Apostibs?  Whatforth art thou Apostibs?

I have been in the photographic hobby since I was 13,  Electronics since 18,
and digital and non-digital computer imaging since 30... Never heard of this
term.... can you please give a definition of the term?

I do understand the more mundane: foot lamberts, candlepower, EV.  But
Apostibs?  Is that the base level light  reading that a man can NOT see a
nekkid girl at 500 paces?"

Apostilb is a unit of luminance.

It is "the luminance of a matt surface which emits one lumen per square
metre", so
1 candela per square metre = 3.14159 apostilbs.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The genius is the one who plays most like himself." - Thelonius Monk.