Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica CL 40mm Summicron on other M-mount cameras
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:47:21 -0700

The answer is: a CL lens may focus correctly on a M camera...or it may not.
The CL uses a very steep lens cam and the horizontal position of the CL's
rangefinder roller is critical. The M lens cam is not steep and horizontal
position of the rangefinder roller is not critical. In fact, on the M
camera, the length of the rangefinder arm (horizontal position) is
adjustable to fine tune focusing accuracy. So it is not unusual to have the
rangefinder roller in slightly different horizontal positions on different M
cameras.

So the short story is that a CL lens may line up properly at infinity on one
M camera and may not on another. Try it and see.

John Collier

PS: The 40/2 is a very good lens.