Subject: Re: [Leica] B+W lens hood on 24mm M
From: Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:39:18 -0800 (PST)

No "vignetting", but I do find the slim filters offer
me better picture quality. Don't laugh ... I'm not
trying to stir up the controversy of diminishing
qualities of filtered vs non-filtered pictures. I do
find that wide-angle lens from 35mm onwards give me
better quality using it naked. I guess the extreme
angle of image from the side pass through the filter
diagonally ( in the case of the 24mm, more than 84
degrees), compared to the center, where the image pass
through the filter perpendically. Now regardless of
how perfectly flat the surfaces of the filter is,
light passing through straight vs light passing thru
diagonally is different. The filter itself is NOT
spherical to account for the extreme angles.
Again, my 2 cts. We can debate on this, but lets keep
it civilized. I already got a bum in voicing my view
on another controversial subject on "bokeh".