Subject: Re: [Leica] Most portable Leica M outfit...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:35:56 -0800

><Snip>
> i still have my little XA, with the A11 flash and the little plastic
> display case.  a lot of ingenuity combined with modest materials
> and economical manufacturing.
>
> -rei
> --

I've got a friend a professional photograph who's been carrying around
and extensively using a recent XA. I think an XA 4.
It's got a 28mm lens.
He's been shooting Fuji 800 color neg film with it pushing it to 1600
and having them all scanned and put on a CD.
Nice sized raw scans and for cheap: like 17 bucks.
His inkjets he makes from these are astounding.
Grainless and saturated.

My XA is an original plain XA though with 35mm 2.8. I never got a flash
for it though I should do that.
This and my Rollei 35 with 40mm Zeiss Tessar lens quickly got me looking
for a Leica body and lens for my street shooting.
But as soon as i got my first M6 9 years ago i also wanted to use it
just all the time. Even in the studio.
And my Nikon got put aside and used for only macro or longer than 135mm use.

The Olympus XA is in some ways more Leica like than the Rollei 35.
In operation. You focus with it just like a Leica and you pick your F stops.
But in optical quality the Rollei 35 is more "Leicalike" for sure.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com