Subject: [Leica] Defense of ebay
From: Mark Kronquist <mak@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:17:09 -0600

In the defense of ebay...we can now get an instant fix rather than waiting
for the post person to drop off Shutterbug or the Catalogue from LHSA...and,
overall, ebay has flattened prices, dramatically increased the number of
items any of us can search for to use or collect and it has dramatically
increased the number of Leica folks...

I buy and sell stuff there all the time. (gasp)

Tamarkins Auctions, Sothebys, Christies all have occasional situations where
clients get into bidding wars...

and, as long as we live in a capitalist society, if someone really wants to
pay $192 for a rare Leica shutter release than more power to the buyer and
the seller...

I only wish I had snagged a dozen or two...at the show...

I notice that an M7 BROCHURE has bids north of $20...

perhaps Leica could solve its financial problems by printing more brochures
and engraving a few hundred "extra" shutter releases...heck maybe assembling
some of the releases in Saar and Midland? Perhaps a Safari model in a wood
box?

Maybe LHSA could commission a run for the Portland meeting?