Subject: [Leica] Living In a Kafka Novel
From: "Marty Deveney" <freakscene@weirdness.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:02:23 -0500

Fortunately I never woke up as a bug (though I have sat through much semi-serious academic conversation as to exactly what sort of bug it was that Gregor Samsa awoke to find he had become), nor was I hounded by a nameless, faceless panel of judges.

I did, however, get frustrated by ongoing battles against endless bureaucratic red tape, regulations, offices inhabited by the most supremely unhelpful public servants, walls of silence and suspicion.

Amusingly, all I was trying to do was get access to some of the places Kafka lived, in order that I could photograph them before they were renovated in the almost psychotic 'refurbishment' of the old city in Prague which began after the Velvet Revolution and had reached fever pitch by the mid-1990's.

To keep it on topic, although I used a 5x7" view camera, I didn't have a handhelp light meter, so I used an M6 to measure the light.

Next time I go back I plan to awake from disturbing dreams and scuttle off into the city, lost forever to the real world.

8-)

Marty