Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Leni Riefenstahl exhibit in New York
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 19:25:20 -0500

Not too delicate at all...In fact, I have posted this previously on the LUG,
and am totally open about it. Go to the Newsday site, and look under
Pulitzers.
http://www.newsday.com/about/ny-aboutpulitzer.story?coll=ny%2Dabout%2Dutilit
You will find the following:

General Local Reporting
1984 Baby Doe Case
Newsday Team: Lead
Reporters B.D. Colen, Kathy Kerr

This is one of those truly sad corporate political stories:

When Newsday sent in its entry in the General Local reporting category for
the 1984 Pulitzers, it sent in, as I best recall = and we are talking about
18 years ago! - four stories I wrote on the Baby Doe Case, five that
Kathleen Kerr wrote, and one which was a Sunday gang bang by a zillion local
reporters. Because the paper hadn't won a Pulitzer in about a decade, and
was desperate to be able to say that NEWSDAY had won one, the entry was sent
in for "Newsday - A Team of Reporters." And that is a VERY unusual way to
credit a Pulitzer entry.

Anyway - we won. And the morning the prizes were to be announced, someone
from Columbia called the then editor of the paper and said, "don't you want
to put the names of individuals on this?"  and he said, "No. Leave it the
way it is." So Newsday could say that "Newsday" won.

Anyway...The next day in the paper, Kerr's photo and mine were featured with
the top of the main story. We were given credit by the paper and being the
two principal reporters on the story. And, oddly enough, we always have been
given credit by the paper. And, in fact, Kerr and I were each given $1000 by
Newsday - $1000 then being the amount that accompanied the Pulitzer
certificate. ;-)

But at Columbia, if you look under either of our names - you will find
ZIPO....However, if you look under General Local Reporting, for 1984, you
will find Newsday - A Team of Reporters.

To make matters even worse, when we went to Columbia for the official
handing out of the prizes, the Boston Globe was there to pick up its prize
for something, as I recall, having to do with segregation in Boston - and
that paper had put down EVERYBODY'S name - about 15 people. In fact, they
had so many names, that the Pulitzer folks made a new rule limiting the
number of names that could go on any given prize.

So that is my Pulitzer story. Which I told on the LUG in similar form about
a year or so ago.

B. D.