Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele-lens and lens bracket.
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 05:32:09 -0800

on 3/9/02 4:15 AM, SthRosner@aol.com at SthRosner@aol.com wrote:

> For a long time I used the 280/4,8 Telyt with R-adapter. I found it to be an
> excellent lens optically though a bit heavy and bulky. Also, of course,
> aperture is pre-set. And with a 2X extender, you have a 560mm lens - with an
> initial aperture of f/9!! not too cool. I don't do too much wildlife so sold
> the 280. Now when I need the reach, I use a 180/2,8 Elmarit with which the 2X
> extender creates a light, compact and very manageable 360/5,6 lens. Of
> course, for a professional or if you're intending extreme enlargements, I
> question whether the optical quality will match the longer prime lenses. But
> I think it will satisfy most serious amateurs. Doug?
>
> Seth           LaK 9

I haven't used the 180/2x combination.  Richard K, are you lurking?

I've used several lenses between 250mm and 300mm, including the 280 f/4.8
Telyt-V.  Assuming the funds for an APO-Telyt are not available (but I can
dream), the 280mm f/4.8 Telyt-V on a Televit is among my favorites, the 2nd
favorite being the late 250 Telyt-R.  Without the Televit I'd prefer the
late 250 over the 280.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com