Subject: Re: [Leica] M portrait lens choices are confusing
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 12:49:06 EST

In a message dated 3/9/02 12:37:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, derek@zeanah.com
writes:

> The Summicron 90 APO gets raves from users, but people complain that it's
too

>  sharp for flattering portraiture.  I've never had the opportunity to use
one.

>  Is this an accurate assessment, and if so how does the immediately-prior
90
>  stack up?

All of the 90 Summicrons are designed optically for excellent performance
(read sharpness) at full aperture. True even of the first (1958) Sujmmicron,
though of course to a much lesser extent. You are learning that you can't
have it all in one package.

Many believe the first 90/2,8 Elmarit (also introduced in 1958) is the most
flattering portrait lens at that focal length. Decades ago Leitz produced a
90mm lens - the Thambar - designed with a significant amount of spherical
aberration left in at full aperture to produce a pleasing soft effect for
portraiture use. They even sold a filter, designed specifically for the
Thambar, with a spot in the center to block the center rays (those that are
sharpest) and increase the spherical aberrations of the lens at full
aperture! Of course today the Thambar is an expensive collector lens.

Seth         LaK 9