Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: FS: Elmarit-M ASPH 21/2.8, Summicron-M 50/2.0, Elmarit-M 90/2.8
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:13:00 -0800 (PST)

OK.  Here is my $.02 worth.

    I started gathering ( I dislike the term collecting )
high quality photo gear while in the Army.  I had the
opportunity to learn from some very good, experienced
photographers.  I had the tremendous benefit of their
experience without having a salesman lead me astray because
of "spifs" ( extra commision incentives ).  I made it a
rule to buy the best the first time.  If I had to wait for
the $$s to afford it, I did.
    The advantage was great.  I never lost money trading
up.  And I learned more of how to use what I had while
waiting for the next new toy.
    I still have every piece of that equipment.  It still
produces fine images, limited only by my application.  And
I, as well as others, have seen that the newest lenses,
while they are certainly better in some respects, are not
so fantastically superior that what I have is obsolete.
    Perhaps if I were trying to earn a living in today's
shrinking market for quality work, I would feel the need
for some of the newest, latest, most expensive hardware.
But I am not.  And I doubt if very many of you are either.
Or you wouldn't have time to be on this list.
    So, after reading all the posts saying: " I
regret....", I will suggest this.  If you had reason to buy
it to begin with, you have reason to keep it to use again.
    But as with all ideas, there is the other side of the
equation.  Now that I am approaching "old geezerhood", I
need to look at some of those things objectively.  Would
some of it be better off in the hands of someone who would
make better use of it?  I have to start thinking about it.