Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: airport film check
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 14:08:18 -0500 (EST)

> From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
>
> What I see in the earlier post was just a "stand off for no reason" other
> than..."it's the law therefore you will hand inspect my film!" Pointless
> point!
> I see many of these security people having to put up with countless
> a........holes every day, so why become one by simply "pushing ones point
> because it's the law!"

i'm not going to claim to be a heroic upholder of civil liberties, but i do
take them very seriously.  and rather than an a-hole, i consider that
guy--if the law is on his side--a hero and an american.

i don't say its wrong to roll over when you're boxed in--after all i don't
personally do a lot of air travel--but i think it's a dangerous
precedent when rule of law is disregarded for whatever reason.

theres no reason to be fatalistic nor cheerful when your rights are abrogated.
you should be angry.  i agree with wilde that "discontent is the first step
in the progress of a man or a nation"

- -rei

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com