Subject: [Leica] chas paw and the TV
From: charles harris <lugstuff@charlesharris.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 15:35:14 -0500

Last week I was assigned a very cool project. In the US this Sunday on CBS
is a documentary on the Sept 11 events. The sponsor (through their ad
agency) commissioned about 80 photographers around the country to go out and
shoot public safety people, police officers, rescue teams, firefighters, and
the like. They wanted environmental portraits of the everyday guys. Instead
of showing commercials during the programming, these portraits will be
shown. I expect there will be some outstanding photos here.

I was assigned two shots in South Carolina; Charleston and rural. I ended up
shooting about a half dozen. If everybody did shoot multiples like I did,
the edit should prove very difficult. Having said that, even though I was
commissioned for two, there is no guarantee of airplay at all. Regardless,
it should be an impressive bunch of shots.

The photographers were given great latitude on this assignment. Aside from a
nearly unreasonable deadline, the only restrictions besides subject matter
were that it crop to horizontal, portray the subjects in non-civilian
attire, not be an action shot, and be serious in tone. We were assigned a
specific geographic region but were tasked to source the subjects on our
own, meaning I chose who and where I specifically shot.

It will be interesting to compare what is ultimately selected given that we
all were working with the same guidelines. Anybody else on this list
involved in this project?

I shot these over the course of 1 1/2 days in Charleston and (the area of)
Aiken SC. All with the Hasselblad.

The posted images here are outtakes. I have not even seen most of the film I
shot. I had to FedEx it back to my studio for processing and it was sent out
that very day. I did a couple of other shots not shown here because, for one
reason or the other, the outtakes were unsuitable for posting. I usually
make a lot of subtle compositional changes on the fly and work with posing
as I go along, so these shots may not be entirely representational of the
whole lot. One of these shots will not crop well as a horizontal, but I shot
it anyway because I liked it.

I've not yet linked these to my paw site, check back for that.

check out and follow the arrows to the right....

http://www.charlesharris.com/hero/vfd.html

as always lots of leica shots can be found at
http://www.charlesharris.com

Any and all comments or questions will be respectfully noted. I urge
everybody to watch this program not just for the photos, but for the
content.

I think I'll post this letter twice under two headings for those who
automatically trash PAW topics. Sorry for the redundancy.

charles

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] chas paw and the TV)