Subject: Re: [Leica] M portrait lens choices are confusing
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:00:49 -0500

Always being the trouble maker I would suggest two lenses.  The first is the
75 lux as it is plenty sharp and a stop faster.  The focal length is long
enough to do flattering portraits although if you do really tight head shots
probably not long enough.  If you shop around the first version with the
removable hood can be found under $1400.  You said you do weddings and speed
with the ability to blur the background is a very useful trait  indeed.

The two valid criticism's of the 75 are size, and some people find the 75
frame lines hard to use.

For the second lens I would look at the current Elmarit at 2.8, one of the
Japanese 85's from the fifties, if you can purchase in person one of the
Soviet 85's.  The second lens should be smaller, lighter, and possibly not
as sharp.  You could even look into one of the 135's out there for some
image compression.

By not trying to make one lens do two things you can find the best for what
you are doing at the moment.  There is not a small, fast, sharp travel lens
available.  Fast, sharp, and large: sharp, small and slowish are two of the
options.

I have discounted the 90AA because by 4.0 most of the options available are
"just as good" and lots cheaper or faster.  I will take not quite as sharp
but faster almost any day when you are talking about Leica glass.

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Message from Derek Zeanah <derek@zeanah.com> ([Leica] M portrait lens choices are confusing)