Subject: Re: [Leica] airport response
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 15:41:15 -0600

>    Okay, okay, Ted & John, I surrender.  I'm new to photography and my
>class instructor said to do what I did as he said all film will be
>destroyed by the scanners.   I WAS polite, just extremely firm. I did
>say  'yes sir'  and also said  'I realize you are just doing your job'.
>The point wasn't to create a p_____g match with security, it was just to
>get what I THOUGHT I needed and WAS entitled to. I didn't think about
>making it harder on those of you who make a living.  Back off already,
>I'm sorry.    I don't travel by air that much, so from now on I'll buy
>my film when I arrive.

Larry--
Actually what your instructor said isn't necessarily wrong. You
absolutely do NOT want to put film in checked luggage. If it is
X-rayed before being put on the plane, that film will not survive.
One last 'pro' tip that I have not tried but sounds good.
If you're really paranoid about film going thru the normal security
machine, just put a sheet or two of Polaroid sheet film in with your
stuff. You can pull-it when you arrive and see if there's any
apparent damage. Some photograpahers tape  some lead on each side to
see if there's a subtle change from the protected area where the lead
was placed.
John