Subject: Re: [Leica] should interaction be restricted to shop talk?
From: "Karina Klaas" <shutterbug@iinet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 21:41:52 +1100

 G'Day From Down Under,

As a newcomber to this "family" I have, at a distance, read with
interest,the communication between all on LUG.

Much comment has been made about whether the LUG should be entering into
online debates - ie. are the Luggers losing the plot?

I have not yet "earned my stripes" but for what it is worth I think that all
interaction is healthy...I have yet to meet a great "brain dead"
photographer.

To quote a line from John Lennon - "Life is what happens to you while you're
busy making other plans" - this is the closest closest analogy I can find
when it come to photography - everything we say, and everything we do is
ultimately expressed in our work as photographers.

I do not fail to appreciate paradoxes in the the online reasoning I have
read..some of you are batting for the same team but wearing different
colours - it seems the arguments are coming down to "which colour is right"
ie. the last say.

Debate is healthy and I do not believe it should be discouraged fron LUG,
what should be discouraged is the way in which the debate becomes so
personal.......if you are not likely to become that intimate with a stranger
sitting next to you on a bus what gives you a licence to tear another
stranger to shreds online?

As a result of my passion for photography, the intensity of my observation
has become so powerful that the the downside of not being succeeding as a
"professional photographer", is for me,  at least offset by all the other
joys it brings, and they are numerous.

Photography has not taught me about taking pictures/making images - it has
"shown" me life - for example - you do not have to see the snake to work out
where it is - just watch the tall grass move on a hot summers day.

So, I advocate a continuation of online debate but I encourage a forum which
promotes respect for one another.

Picture this, (pun unintended) a future generation (our kids) blaming it all
on Leica.

Karina