Subject: RE: [Leica] Shelley Mydans Dead at 86
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:47:37 -0700

There is a nice chapter on the Mydans in John Leongards book on Life
Photographers.

Was it Carl that took the shot of the naked bubble gunner in the PBY
Catalina in the Pacific? I always thought it an amazing shot that somehow
expressed male vulnerability in the midst of war.

tim a

PS - we have 4 or 5 Catalinas out at the airport here still in regular use
(or Cansos as we Canucks call them). Used for waterbombing during forest
fire season. It's quite something to see a couple of them swoop down on a
lake together and scoop up water at full revs, ready for the next load!