Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Re: Re: re: Rapid Winders -TOTALLY ON TOPIC
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:52:24 -0500

- --On Tuesday, March 12, 2002 08:37:19 AM -0500 Austin Franklin
<darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> I simply reminded everyone that the basket is not really necessary, and
>> Leica put it there to help people who couldn't get the film onto the
>> sprockets under their own steam.
>>
>> Therefore, when you get a Rapidwinder without one, it is NOT
>> really needed
>> unless you are one of the unfortunate aforementioned souls who can't seem
>> to get the film on the sprockets and wind on.
>
> Oh Rolfe, I think ANYONE here isn't as fool as you think, and can get the
> film into the right place if they want to make a conscious effort to do
> so, and I believe that has nothing to do with the issue.  By your logic,
> we don't need a rewind knob, unless you're one of the "unfortunate souls"
> who can't seem to get their teeth to bite onto the film rewind knob to
> rewind the film.

Austin,

I never said anyone was a fool.

I merely said that Leica put the basket there to help the
sprocket-hole-challenged among the Leica user base. Clearly, the company
must have had people experiencing misloads because they weren't getting the
film up onto the sprockets and this was the "solution".

I'm sure anyone on this list can get the film on the sprockets on their
own. But from some of the comments, I gather that not everyone loads their
cameras this way, which does surprise me.

In any event, I think we've pretty much beat this one to death. It's time
to get back to the more important things that normally dominate the
discussion here :-).

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com