Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Shake
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:30:05 +1100

>In trying to photograph my ACTIVE fourteen month old daughter, I'm
>losing a lot of well-composed pictures with great facial expressions to
>camera shake.  I think that my daughter's constant movement, which
>forces me to rush for pictures and prevents the use of a tripod, is a
>contributing factor.  Trying to get down to her level also seems to
>increase the problem, but I am able to capture her facial expressions
>better from down there, I think.  The Leica sling made by Lutz Konermann
>would, I believe, allow me to grip my M6 better and improve results, but
>he seems to be out of town indefinitely, and I've tired of missing good
>moments while I wait.  Is there any technique or gadget I could use to
>improve my photographs?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I face this problem with my younger dog, who wiggles wobbles and
spins all the time. For me there are a couple of techniques.

1. I focus at 1m, hold the camera away from my eye, watch the dog not
the camera and snap when the moment is right. The camera is held at
arms length which seems to steady it

2. faster film might help, but the flash will "stop" the action. I
often use a 3/4 flash (I hate washed out flash images) and expose for
the ambient light. Slower film can actually be an advantage here.
Sometimes I use really slow film, open the lens, incite the dog and
fire the flash my hand.

3. stand back a little and enlarge the image

4. Tripods are not really part of the deal, though I will
occasionally "ambush" the prey by setting up the camera on a tripod,
wait for the critter to reach the allotted "spot" and fire -- I have
to say that it did not work too well at the Grand Prix -- I was too
fast on the button ;-)

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin