Subject: Re: [Leica] Absolutely, totally off-topic
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:23:35 -0500

On 3/13/02 simon@camera-craftsman.com wrote:

>I'm not a tecchie, but isn't Mac OS-X basically unix with a GUI?

It's BSD Unix with a couple of complicated layers on top. The layers are
rather more than a GUI though. The HUGE advantage to apple is that the OS
is now effectively portable so they are not tied to a chip any more. They
will probably stick with Motorola but there are other more exotic options
available.

There is a school of thought which says that the first company to bring
Unix to a desktop PC will ultimately win.

Mac OS X, the Leica of... oh, God, I'm really back.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from "Doug Lee" <drlee9@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Absolutely, totally off-topic)