Subject: RE: [Leica] McCurry's Afghan Girl
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:14:49 -0800

I am a skeptic.....  It is most likely cheaper to wait to be sued, than to
go to the trouble of getting and then PROVING a signature ( from someone
that probably is illiterate)...   I always assume the odds are that NG et al
will never be caught......  or only occasionally......

Policy put aside, which does probably say you must have the rights, if I
were the photographer working for or on assignment to or freelancing for NG,
I would have all the signatures I need.... because it pays to have them...
The legitimacy of those signatures, I would not want to state....and the
illiterate person, in a foreign land would have to

1) See the pahotgraph
2) Intellectually figure out that there was a profit made from her image
3) find a lawyer
4) find the magazine
5) file a lawsuit in the USA
6) Prove in the US Courts that I had not gotten proper authorzation
7) Prove they should share in the profit
8)Get the award
9) find a way to get $$$ from me or the magazine.

Not likely.  Cheaper to take a chance.  Once in a while, give a few pennies
out to prove you are doing the right thing.  Once in a while, give a free
trip to Mecca.. what does that cost?  more pennies to NG.

BTW: I am not nor ever have been paid for any photograph.  It is my opinion.
Battle armor on.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net