Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanner Suggestions
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:37:42 -0400

Austin:

Who shoots colour negative film with a Leica?    Erwin, in his books,
totally discounts the use of colour negative film.  It certainly is easier
to scan, but the slides produce better images if you have a scanner up to
the task.  The page below has some basketball images I took and scanned
about three years ago.  All but two of the images were on E200 pushed to EI
320, the other two were on a Fuji 800 film.  The ones on film are the two
near the bottom of the page, just above the aerial shot.  I think they were
scanned using a Canoscan 2700, which had a Dmax of about 3.  All the images
would probably look better if I rescanned them on my Polaroid.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/ciau.htm

I have found pushed 800 fuji print film hard to scan sometimes.  When I
shoot hockey with it, the highlights and ice sometime have odd casts to
it.  I am convinced it is a Dmax and software problem caused by  the dense
parts of the negatives which would be the highlights and the white ice.

I almost ordered the new 4000 Plus from B&H, but when I converted it to
Canadian dollars (x 1.58), it was pretty expensive.  I think I will live
with my Sprintscan 35 Plus until the 4000 Plus gets a little cheaper.

Regards,

Robert