Subject: [Leica] Re: CARE AND CAUTION!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:48:01 -0800

I was born and raised on the Ocean. I lived on, in, and around it for my
first 30 years. I surfed, skin dived, was a life guard, and have
participated in many open water swim races. I still do the latter.

Every year, tourists and other ocean neophytes lose their life along our
California coast. I cannot tell you how many people I have warned, over the
years. Families with kids, on the open coast, not watching the waves. They
come in sets and rogue waves are a fact, not fiction, and are more
prevalent than people think. They are usually responsible for folks being
washed off the shore, never to be seen again. Sometimes all of the kids, or
whole families.

The one thing I have learned is that you cannot turn your back on the
ocean. When I'm photographing on the rocks, points, the water's edge, I
have my wife with me whose sole job is to be a wave watcher. Especially
when the tide is coming in. She is very good at it and has saved my butt,
and gear, many times. At times I work right at the waters edge and get
engrossed in my work. But only when she is with me.

We have some of the world's largest waves right here on the central CA
coast. Ask any surfer about Mavrick. Like surfing down the side of a ten
story building. With the top of the building chasing you. Mavrick is off of
Half Moon Bay. Bring your very long lenses and get some awesome surf shots.

Jim

Replies: Reply from John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com> ([Leica] Mavericks was CARE AND CAUTION!)
Message from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Robert Stevens PAW 10 Lighthouse)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> ([Leica] WAS: Robert Stevens Lighthouse NOW .. CARE AND CAUTION!)