Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW ???
From: Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 04:18:42 -0500

Everyone wants more feedback than they get. My observations lead me to
believe that people offer comments when: 1) they like the image, 2) they
like the person who took the image, 3) the image taker has given them
feedback, 4) they see in the image something that they think they could
fix.

You are asking for the last type of feedback. If you consider that 90%
of the people in a given forum are readers-only, you can sense that many
people don't feel comfortable about offering opinions in public (which
leaves the rest of us who are too darn foolish to care). The pool of
"critics" is small. Most people do not comment on a shot that confuses
them, or leaves them cold. I do not comment of blurred photographs. If I
did, my comment would be pretty much always the same: "Do you think the
Leica Blur is needed here?" or  "Perhaps try turning the focus ring."

Your week 10 PAW is one I left alone from laziness. But since you asked,
the image has good color, and a strong graphic element that is not being
well used. The color is good, but common. That image is not going to
stand on color alone. The arch is too far into the picture. You have an
interesting shape in the arch, but a lot of boring real estate
surrounding it. You need an interesting angle--for example, getting in
real close to the arch so that it takes up a substantial part of the
frame. Or lying down on your belly, with the road merely inches away
from the pavement leading to the arch. Or getting behind the
fence--again on your belly--and shooting through it to the arch.

The scene has good potential, but you failed to take control and make it
yours.

Allan