Subject: RE: [Leica] 135/3.4 APO Telyt vs 135/2.8 Elmarit
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:00:10 -0500

At 05:01 PM 3/14/02 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:

>I doubt, however, that in this day-and-age, you will find virtually anyone
>(yes, I'm sure there are a few - that's why I said 'virtually anyone -) who
>shoots for a living, including those who regularly shoot with Leicas, who
>uses lenses over 90 mm on rangefinder.

Gosh, BD.  I hadn't realized this was the "Leica-Shooters-For-Money" List.
I must have wandered into the wrong shop by mistake -- I had thought it was
the Leica Users Group.

Your original statement was (and, pray, note well the absence of any
"virtually" herein):

>Soooooo - if one is happy framing and focusing an image about the size of
>the price on a postage stamp, the 135 APO is the way to go. If, on the other
>hand, one wants to really see what one is shooting with a 135, an SLR may
>make a lot more sense than the 135 APO - and one can get a good SLR and a
>terrific 135 for less than one will pay for the 135 APO.

Now, I believe the LUG to be a general List for those interested in using
Leica gear, especially rangefinders.  This topic has come up throughout my
six years or whatever on the LUG, and it does seem that quite a few of our
folks do experience difficulties with the 135mm frame-line.  But, equally,
there are a number of folks who do not seem to experience the problems you
guys do.

Perhaps it would have been best had you phrased your comment cited above as
a personal statement instead of handing it down as a Diktat from Mount Sinai.

Again, it is a broad and inclusive universe and photography is a broad art
which accomodates many needs and many means and many approaches.  I like
the 135mm frame-line and you do not, one more of the differences which
marks us as different folks.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!