Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanner Suggestions
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:18:58 -0500

> Austin:
>
> A few years ago a sign company hired me to shoot their outdoor
> signs.  They
> had just done all the signs at a new hospital.  I shot it on both AGFA
> Optima 50 and Velvia.  The Velvia was finer grained and sharper.  The
> colour was also more accurate.  When I showed the results to the
> people at
> the sign plant, the graphic artist brought both the Velvia and the AGFA
> Optima images up on the computer screen that he uses to create the
> signs.  He commented that the Velvia ones were much better and
> almost dead
> on to the Panatone colours in these signs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert

Robert,

You're now talking about color.  That entirely depends on development,
exposure, and the scanner operator.  I can make ANY film dead nuts on.  That
is a property of the tonal curves that are applied to the film when they are
scanned.

There are only two ways of getting perfect colors.  One is to have a fully
color managed system (as in shoot a chart with each roll) or adjust the
colors after the fact to match something.  Well, OK, there are three.  Luck.
Different scanners require different curve adjustment to get "correct"
color, even with the same film.  And, as I've said, exposure and development
will vary enough that will make even canned film profiles not very useful.

Austin